We are the best at blocking every advertisement online. Yes we’re, we’re great! And to fully integrate an ad free environment into your home we present to you Pi-hole. This is an open source software that supports network-wide ad blocking, which means you will be blocking every ad on all the devices connected to your own Internet network. So prepare to free your laptop, iPhone, Samsung tablet and desktop PC from all online commercials!
Pi-Hole is free to use and works on many operating systems such as Raspbian: Stretch, Buster, Jessie (lite / with pixel), Ubuntu version 14.04 / 16.04 / 16.10+, Fedora version 24 / 25+, Debian 8.6+ and CentOS version 7.2.1511 / 7.3.1611+ that can be easily installed on your Raspberry Pi. The minimum requirements for your PC should be roughly 52MB of free space to install the program and 512MB RAM to run it. Pi-hole is lightweight software, easy to install and superfast in ad blocking! This is how you install it on your PC/router/server.
What you need to install Pi-hole
You need a couple of things to use PI-Hole as an ad blocker. Don’t worry not that much 🙂
- Raspberry Pi starter kit
- One of the supported operating systems: Raspbian Jessie (lite / with pixel), Ubuntu version 14.04 / 16.04 / 16.10, Fedora version 24 / 25, Debian 8.6 or CentOS version 7.2.1511 / 7.3.1611 on the Raspberry Pi. You can find them all here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
- Able to configure your router DHCP options (don’t worry this is the easy part).
How to install Pi-hole ad blocking
Installing a Pi-hole ad blocker on Windows or MAC OS is very easy. You just have to follow the following steps and then you’re blocking ads on a network level.[adsense]
- Install one of the supported operating systems on your Raspberry Pi.
- Install Pi-hole on the Raspberry Pi. The program can be downloaded here or via the install “curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | Bash”” command.
- Configure your router DHCP settings to force clients in using your PI-hole as their DNS server. You can also manually configure each device but that takes much more time then blocking ads on the whole network at once. This step sounds more difficult than it actually is. The only thing that you have to change are some ports and DNS settings on your router.
- Done! Your Pi-hole blocks all advertisements at a DNS level. This means your whole network is protected and any device connected will automatically block online commercials even inside Apps and programs.
View the detailed tutorial to install Pi-hole on your MAC OS.
Not interested or is it too complicated to block ads on a network level? Then you can always use one of our browser adblock plugins.
Facts about Pi-hole
- Pi-hole makes your Internet speed much faster as it blocks all incoming requests of adservers that normally would slow down your website loadtime,
- Every user on your WIFI-network will be ad free,
- Pi-hole is a black hole for internet advertisements, it even blocks Adwords YEAH BABY,
- Open source software (Free!),
- Pi-hole is very lightweight as it only handles DNS queries and returns a blank HTML file so it doesn’t need much processing power,
- Pi-hole will run on most Debian-based distros and is the preferred platform for it,
- We need port 53 for DNS and 80 for the Web server. However, the Web server port can be modified to a non-standard one if needed,
- The code is completely open, but piping to bash can be dangerous. For a safer install, review the code and then run the installer locally.
I’m trying to free your Internet, friend. But I can only show you the door. You’re the one that has to install the ad blocker. Pi-hole is the One that will free your network and all its users from the ad spam of the Internet.The True adblocker king
FAQ about Pi-hole
What kind of ads does a pi-hole block?
Pi-hole will block all ads in browsers, apps, programs and other Internet connected devices. This happens due to the fact that the Pi-hole program prevents ads on a network level. This way no ad will ever be generated on your device.
How does a Pi-hole work?
The Pi-hole acts as a Domain Name System (DNS) server, a system that connects to the internet on router level. This way the Pi-hole is able to intercept any outgoing or incoming DNS requests. In other words it can block or pass certain domains from accessing your device, keeping your computer and other devices connected to the Internet network free from advertisements.
Is Pi-hole free?
Yes we’re! It is an open source software that supports network-wide ad blocking, which means you will be blocking every ad on all the devices connected to your own internet network for free.
Can a website detect the Pi-hole blocker?
No, Adlbock plugin doesn’t block any ads on the Spotify webplayer. But if you follow our guide you can skip those ad moments during your playlist.